• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(176171)

First Lieutenant
3 Badges
Oct 31, 2009
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
KadmeiAAR Nike, Greece AAR

With no Trebizond AAR by Junuxx to guide me, I had to settle for Greece for my first game, bar tutorials. My bold plan is obviously, at minimum take modern Greece, but hopefully conquer the whole of the Ottoman Empire, including of course, Istanbul. But I'm not too optimistic for my first go, so I look forward to bloody or costly victories ahead.

This is Greece at the start, not much but plenty of cores on Ottomans, and some on Egypt.

I send my first diplomatic points on Russia.​

My initial plan is to improve relations with Russia, and secondarily Austria in an attempt to get an alliance. Or failing that with any of the non Turk great powers.

But straight off I get an Alliance offer from the Pope, and I gladly except, shouldn't get too much trouble from Italy, and he could be defensively useful.

Alliances with Serbia, and then in December, Montengero, before the first year is even over. My first tech is Freedom of Trade, and I follow it up with Railroads. I also accidentally build a naval base in Athens, ah well.

I spend the next 10 years attempting to get a Cement Factory going in Attica, build up my fleet to 14 ships, and construct railroads across Greece. In middle of 1848 I finally decide to take a gamble on the Two Sicilies, who have at some point have captured Crete. They are allied to Spain, but they abandon them, and I don't call mine.

I rapidly land and overun Crete with 9,000 troops, and sink 2 clippers in Ionian Sea.

The war in Sicily.​

I follow up with an invasion of Sicily, the first fails when Sicily moblises, but I retreat and his troops gather in Calabria, and I reinvade blocking the straights and Bay of Naples. After I've occupied 2/3rds I get involed in a naval battle near Malta, and a Sicilian army lands on the island. I avoid it, and settle for Crete, failing to take the island of Sicily I'd gambled on. Leaving me with 8ish infamy under the new war goals system.

After the war I go on a building program, including raising some artillery. An Italian regiment from Crete, and one from Athens.

My population post Sicilian War​

Under Sicily's rule there was a huge influx of Italians into Crete, and from there into Greece proper.

And I'll leave you with, something else going on in the world. It's 1852 and the Civil War is taking at decisive turn.

Good luck! In the next patch, Johan has said he'll add Byzantium IIRC. The patch will probably break saves, but when it comes, it could be an idea to make a second install and then manually add the Byz related things, for a more awesome(tm) game.:cool:

Greece is very hard to play.
Main problem is population. Even in 1870+ with Thesslia, Crete, Aegian islands and almost all Macedonia I have only 1mln greeks.
I conquered Tunis, part of Madagascar, one state in Middle East. Egypt and Ethiopia are in my SoI (with 4 little ones). But now I'm losing my GP status, because I can't do anything. These russians added Ottomans in his SOI and didn't let me attack them. My infamy is very high, so I can't attack even uncivilized countries.
Literacy is only 13% (I have 100% education spending for almost all game). And I don't see any solutions to this.

Nice start. This looks like it will prove a challenge, thus hopefully I can glean some more information about the game. Consider me subscribed.

Nikolai Yes, I'll to settle for Greece for time being, and I'd have to conquer quite alot of Asia Minor, which I'm not quite at yet.

Lexar_kg I had about 400-450k population at this point. Not really tried sending expeditions elsewhere, most of North Africa, is French or Ottoman.

tuore, morningSIDEr & Karaiskandar Good to have you on board.

After the Sicilian War, things are mostly quiet, but I do begin construction of a fort in Lamia on the Ottoman border. And a naval base in Crete, the furthest from my current ones.

At some point I also discover I'm Ottomans sphere, but I seem to get by, as they have quite a large interal market, including the Netherlands. Though for the time being I do expand my navy.

North of me, Austria is defeated by Prussia, who takes Bohemia, and the Ukraine rebels. Further, Austria has regular Anarcho-Liberal problems.

France and England engage in a large war, the largest European war so far, but it will eventually end in stalemate.

And glorious Krakow knocks out Ottomans from Great Powers.

Russo-Turkish War of 61​

Seeing this sign of weakness, Russia begins a war. Obviously this is excellent opportunity for me to make a move, but I wait.

By April Ottomans have captured Izmail, and the Russians have overwhelmed Moldavia, and are slowly capturing it's cities and forts.

I heistate in joining however as Montengero supplies me with military reports of Ottoman armies crushing rebels in Bosnia, Anarcho-Liberals. I hope to be given the opportunity for them to move to the front.

In August I sent my fleet to the Black Sea on an observation mission.

In Izmail the Russians are retaking the border.

While in Armenia the war appears at first to be going badly for Russians.

But when I return I see Kars has fallen and though engaged in a sucessful skirmish the Ottoman army is trapped, and heavily outnumbered.

In February I'm too late and Russia excepts peace for Kars.

Soon after I see Ottoman army has dropped to 7 brigades. Too late do I realise this simply means they have demoblised. I land a force in Myteline, my fleet controls the Aegean, and I appear to be winning a battle in Larrisa, but influx of Wallachian, and Ottoman troops mean I'll soon be hugely outnumbered and I thankfully get a white peace but at a huge cost to prestige. Down from 50 to 0. The brief Greco-Turkish War of 62 is an embrassing failure.

In aftermath, I begin researching prestige technologies, and fortifing the rest of my border.

Bad timing with this war...too bad.
Fortunately we can count on the Russian to DoW (again) the Ottomans soon.

Yes, bad timing indeed. I daresay the power struggles between the Ottomans and Russia will allow for another opportunity in the future however. Krakow's prestige is absurdly high, I guess they got lucky with the cultural research...

Good luck! I have a soft spot for Greece, loved playing them in Vic1 (abusing the system with land swaps to unite Greece peacefully :D)

Also too bad about the Russo-Turkish war. But it's probably for the better, Russia could have left you out to hang, leaving dozens of Turkish divisions to stomp you into the ground :eek:o

Also historically Greece was a bit of a basket case, and as late as 1897 tried to fight an embarrassingly failtastic war against Turkey, ending in the defeat of the Greek army at the hands of Ahmed Himzi Pasha.

Karaiskandar & morningSIDEr Well, we'll see..

Leviathan07 Well I've got one failed war out of the way early, we'll see what follows.

Over the next few years I have a number of minor Anarchist rebellions. One in Crete in 65.

And again in 68.This are a few scattered groups of 3,000 troops and are easily broken. In 1870 I get a declaration of war from Ottoman-France (becomes war leader) and Netherlands. With demands of Pelopaneese for Ottomans, and Aegean Islands for France, I decide to restart when France lands 30,000 troops and invincible steamer transports. Eventually I manage to get raised relations with France on an attempt and when declaration of war comes, only Ottomans, Wallachia and Moldavia join. An intial Wallachian offensive of 7,000 is defeated and I land troops in Myteline. I progress through Ottoman Aegean Islands, and through Thessalia, large scale Anarcho-Liberal rebellions begin, including Volos, and in Iraq. In Iraq is where the Ottoman army gathers.

By November, I've captured the Aegean Islands, and begin sieges in Albania, West and North Macedonia. I also make a raid on Sea of Marmara, but this is defeated and I have rebuild my fleet.

Another problem for Ottomans is a huge Bosninan rebellion, while I build Man'o'Wars to get me back up to full strength.

During late 71 an Ottoman counterattack begins and is reasonably sucessful in kicking me out of Northern Albania and Macedonia. I slow the advance, but can't yet defeat it, and in March Tirana is retaken by Turks, and Florina is under siege.

On 7th May a large Anarcho-Liberal rebellion occurs across Greece, but is eventually defeated in bloodly fighting continuing into June. But Florina falls and the Ottomans retreat to solve other problems, and I order troops back into Macedonia to retake it.

In August I begin new plan invasion of Cyprus, and add my first counter demand against the Ottomans, for Thessalia.

Through the remainder of 72 sieges go well, and in January 73 I make bold move for my new fleet of 22 ships to blockade the straights and land an army in the suburbs of Istanbul.

War is going well, sieges progressing in Albania, Cyprus and Istanbul. Only enemy force visible is small Moldavian siege against Anarcho-Liberals in Izmir. Every so often I have to crush Turkish rebels progressing into Macedonia, but that is all. By October Istanbul is captured, and I move to take Gallipoli.

While by Cyprus force has suceeded and is transported to Chios where it defeats some Rebels and marchs through Izmir to Istanbul. But hubristic sucess in Marmara is followed up with defeat in Aegean at sea. So I've lose control of Marmara, and have transport across sea anyway, wasting time.

The war continues as I make gains in Eastern Macedonia, take Thessalonika, and Kavala. I add West and East Macedonia to my demands, and Gallipoli eventually falls.

For 17 Warscore, I get a 20 score peace, over doubling my population, and taking the richer lands, avoiding even adding goal of Aegean which is cheaper and weaker, or Cyprus which would've cost infamy.

The Ottomans except and had been offering Thessalia and West Macedonia for awhile.

This is how it now looks, Ottomans rebel problems continue, and Bosnia has sucessfully declared independence. My prestige is back up there at 55. And I'm ranked 13 overall. Industry is 13. But a few disastrous battles in Burgas and elsewhere mean I'm down to 5 brigades.

My population has changed dramatically by victory. Not only doubled but South Italians are reduced to 3rd largest minority, with Turks now 33% of my population. Greeks still hold a now reduced minority. I remain an absolute monarchy.

A great victory, and without the help of the Russians ! :cool:
The ethnic situation is quite complicated now though.

Hip hip hooray for Greece!! From minor power to regional power in one war... who cares about the lost regiments, you have plenty of population to draft now! (I would consider forming "penal regiments" of Turkish soldier POPs :eek:o)

Very impressive gains without aid from any other quarters...well perhaps from rebellious Turks!

Karaiskandar Yep, that's only going to increase.

Leviathan07 In the future where I've played ahead, majority of my army is turkish, thankfully Cultural or National rebellions seem relatively rare. It's all Anarcho-Liberals.

Fish Hunter Seems slower for me for some reason, possibly low literacy. Doesn't seem like the massive influx of Italians to Crete.

morningSIDEr In a pretty solid low teens position for the moment, expanding slowly. And the Anarcho-Liberals in Turkey will continue their commitment to the glorious restoration of the Byzantine Empire.

The peace that follows the 3rd Turkish War, is regularly broken in the north. Particularly around Dedegatch Anarcho-Liberals from the Ottoman Empire cross the border into former Ottoman territory. They are bloodly crushed. Internally I take the opportunity to research steamers to bring my fleet up to date, and begin constructing state railroads across the newly conquered territories.

In Attica industry is going strong, and Cement factory is taken off subsidies and still producing large profit. While to use up the newly unemployed Macedonians, I build several Liquor factories.

The incursions of Anarcho-Liberals reaches boiling point when a massive army of 13k+ cross the border. A larger Greek army is gathered and defeats it.

Between January and May the Railroads are completed across Macedonia, and Thessila. I also decide to build a Steamer Shipyard in East Macedonia.

A minor Crete Nationalist rebellion arises in February of 79, and it is crushed. To replace my out dated ships I begin building steamer transports, which while weaker in attack, have better defense then Man'O'Wars.

By September I have a decent sized fleet of them, were Ottomans able to put together a decent fleet, they would be no match for my modern navy. As year progresses, I also decide to build some Monitors to see if they're any good, only just occured to me while writing this to check there relative stats. hmmm

In October another mass Anarcho-Liberal rebellion breaks out. They're largely concentrated in Pelopaneese, with my army in the north. It won't take long to crush them though.

The finally rebels fall in Cyclades, at the beginning of January 1880. With rebels finally broken, I prepare for war. Orginally I'd intended to declare just before the revolted, but it isn't too big a deal. I divide my forces to attack Cyprus, Albania, North Macedonia and Thrace, and make rapid progress. My objective to start with is the state of Izmir. Giving my 10 Infamy for the declaration.

Ottomans have no army to speak of, and only a few ships, the only things in my way are infamy, limiting my spoils of war, and the odd wandering army of Anarcho-Liberals. With my failing to get any major to ally me, and not wanting them to become war leader, I decide to ask Russia for military acess, which they agree to. I also expand my war goals adding the cored Aegean Islands.

By October 81 most of Southern Rumelia, all of Cyprus, most of Aegean Islands, and North Macedonia are occupied. I've also started the invasion of rebel held Izmir. Ottomans begin sending me peace deals for Izmir which I decline.

Istanbul falls, and I send more forces to Izmir to continue sieging. Some minor rebel problems from Albanian nationalists leads me to destroy, not sure whether I wanted to do this, but ah well.

By September most of Izmir has fallen. At some point the Ottomans manage to moblies a small army. The main one of 9,000 attempts to retake a rebel siege in Denizli, but I meet and defeat it. I further make progress in Albania. And add Cyprus to my war goals.

In December, with 27 War score, I finally make peace for Cyprus, Aegean and Izmir.

And this is my population after the war, massive increase of Turks of course.

Not bad at all !
But these anarcho-liberal rebels are the real scourge of the modern world ! :D

Rather nice gains. With a modern navy, the Ottomans hugely hindered suffering from massive rebel forces and whatnot, the future looks good for Greece.

Great progress here!:cool: